Hepatitis Symptoms

Most people with hepatitis do not know they have the disease because it is usually symptomless. If symptoms are experienced, patients just disregard them as it is usually mistaken for the common flu. Since hepatitis does not show obvious symptoms, most people do not get treated right away unless the hepatitis virus has caused serious problems to the liver.

Hepatitis A

hepatitis symptomsSymptoms of Hepatitis A infection usually shows up between two to four weeks after being exposed to the Hepatitis A virus. The most common early symptoms of Hepatitis A are listed below:

  • Fatigue
  • Slight Fever
  • Muscle and body aches
  • Loss of appetite
  • Nausea and vomiting

After a few days, signs of liver problems may be noticed such as:

  • Abdominal pain especially in the area near the liver
  • Yellow discoloration of the skin and eyes (jaundice), but this is less common for children below six years old
  • Dark colored urine
  • Clay-colored bowel movement

Symptoms can also vary depending on the age of the affected person. Children who are positive for Hepatitis A may experience symptoms such as colds, cough, and sore throat. On the other hand, older people aged 50 and above may have more severe symptoms such as problems in blood clotting, changes in alertness and attentiveness, severe yellowish of the skin and eyes, and worse liver function.

Hepatitis B

Hepatitis B is also known to be a ‘silent infection’ due to having no noticeable symptoms. Based on statistics, almost 70% of people with Hepatitis B do not experience any symptoms. The other 30% might experience symptoms, but they may ignore them because they mostly confuse it with a common flu. It is also believed that one percent of people who are positive for Hepatitis B will develop fulminant hepatitis. Fulminant hepatitis is a fatal condition of the liver that needs urgent medical attention. Its symptoms are extreme irritability, unconsciousness leading to a comatose, and building up of fluid in the abdominal cavity.

Symptoms may show up between one to four months after an exposure to the virus. The most common symptoms of Hepatitis B are:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Tiredness
  • Muscle and joint pains
  • Itching all over the body
  • Pain specifically in the upper right abdomen where the liver is located
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • Jaundice
  • Dark yellow to slightly brown colored urine
  • Gray or clay-colored stool

If the Hepatitis B infection is not treated within six months, the disease might develop into chronic hepatitis and patients may experience:

  • Skin rash
  • Hives or urticaria – are itchy bumps in the skin that is reddish in color
  • Arthritis – is an inflammation of one or more joints
  • Polyneuropathy – is a disease that affects the peripheral nerves which causes weakness, numbness, and tingling pain in some parts of the body such as the hands and feet, and the arms and legs

Hepatitis C

The most common symptoms of acute Hepatitis C are:

  • Fever that reaches 100 or above
  • Fatigue
  • Loss of appetite
  • Abdominal pains

Around 20% of people with acute Hepatitis C are successfully treated in six months. Unfortunately, most Hepatitis C cases develop into a chronic disease. The most common symptoms of chronic Hepatitis C are:

  • Extreme fatigue that even sleep cannot enhance energy levels
  • Headache
  • Depression and mood swings
  • Brain fog – this happens when the patient has a short-term memory loss, lesser concentration, and difficulty in mental tasks such as mental arithmetic
  • Bloating of the stomach
  • Itching of the skin
  • Pain in the liver area

Once the symptoms stated above are noticed do not hesitate to get tested for Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, or Hepatitis C. We also suggest that you order a 10-panel STD comprehensive test which detects various sexually transmitted diseases which already includes Hepatitis A, B, and C.